Thursday 25 August 2011

The Lake of Stars – A tribute to an emotionless model





At least a third of my country is water of course the farmers in my country will always say at least a third of the country is underwater, land lost! Lake Malawi is a fresh water lake that has had a lot written about it.  It is my main model as I take a journey of exploring the beauty that nature presents on a silver platter. In general the lake is known for its stunning blue that is displayed in a scene captured at Nkhota- Kota pottery.

It is alleged that Dr David Livingstone (the Scottish missionary) gave the lake the name ‘Lake of Stars’ when he was amazed to see this beautiful inland see (as others have called it). I imagine that for Livingstone to give the lake this name he may have had a picture similar to this scene of the lake at night as seen from Nkhata bay in the north.

This is just speculation because he may have seen the lake with the morning sun coming up at this time the lake glitters with the lake transformed by the red colours. Seen here in Nkhotakota this may have been something that may have captivated the good doctor.


The possibilities of what he saw are so numerous a morning in Mangochi at the southern tip is just as spectacular. With women of the village attending to household chores, kids playing and fathers attending to the fish with the sun shining on the lake. The glitter may have made the name lake of stars stick in the mind of the doctor. In one of many part of this daily lake ritual is captured.


The lake in the southern part is regarded the best as far as scenery goes the lake bed is shallower and the water is clearer. Viewed from the top the lake is simply stunning. Nkhuzi bay is captured in this image as seen from the top of Nkhuzi Hill in Mangochi.




4 comments:

  1. Lovely blog,
    makes me nostalgic! Most of the beauty goes unnoticed or is taken for granted when one lives there and its pat of one's daily life. I hail from Chintheche each time I visit, I see and appreciate different kind of beauty... I see exactly what you mean! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic. Well captured. I wish the politial climate there would change though so travellers can enjoy the beauty without worry. There is a lot to do there and explore. The wild and bird life is fantastic. I miss my homeland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for your kind comments ... we have a a gem at home worthy nurturing!

    ReplyDelete